History of the Building
A bit of local history…
1858 The Highlands Region is born when Denver founder William H Larimer, Jr wades across the Platte River to stake out high ground on the bluffs of northwest Denver.
1876 Colorado becomes the 38th state of the Union.
1886 Street Car service connects the Highlands to downtown Denver.
1896 The Denver Post reports that “the trip from North Denver into downtown Denver via horse and carriage takes about an hour”.
1911 Highlands Theatre Co. buys property in the Highlands and builds what is now Mead St. Station as a silent picture theater on the streetcar line. JR White designs the building, construction occurs from 1910 to 1911.
1920 In the mid 1920s the building is converted to two storefronts.
1934 3625 West 32nd Avenue is leased as a restaurant.
1994 Mead St. Station, the restaurant, is established.
2011 Historical Mead St. Station is purchased by the Burke Family, who continue serving food in the Highland’s.